Top News

Press Releases

Regional News

West

YouTuber who committed thefts to fund lavish lifestyle arrested in Mumbai

Mumbai, May 26 (PTI) A 30-year-old well-known YouTuber, who allegedly committed thefts and house break-ins to fund his lavish lifestyle, was arrested on Thursday in Mumbai, a police official said. According to the VB Nagar police station official, 14 mobile phones, sharp weapons, fake jewellery as well as foreign currency were seized from the possession of the accused, Abhimanyu Gupta, a social media influencer who once had a large following on TikTok, a video-focused social networking service now banned in India. He allegedly used to commit house break-ins in Mumbai, Navi Mumbai and Thane district to fund his lavish life, moving around in a cap and face mask to conceal identity, the official said. Last week, Gupta broke into a locked house in suburban Kurla and decamped with gold and silver ornaments, he said. The theft came to light when the family residing in the house returned and found that their ornaments were missing. They lodged a police complaint. Police Sub-Inspector (PSI) Padmakar Patil said, “After the incident we scanned more than 150 CCTV footage, but initially failed to establish Gupta's identity as he wearing a cap and face mask. But, at one place he removed his cap and face mask, and we identified him as TikToker Gupta. We then got a tip-off that the accused will be coming to Kurla, where we laid a trap and nabbed him.” The accused has confessed to committing more than 15 house break-ins in the Mumbai region, four of them in Kurla, he claimed. After committing thefts, Gupta used to steal even shoes and sleepers kept outside the house, the officer said, adding the police found four gunny bags stuffed with footwear from his home. The accused, who has videos with well-known Instagram personalities, has admitted to spending money in casinos and for purchasing expensive clothes, he said. Gupta has been booked under relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), including 380 (theft in dwelling house), Patil added. PTI ZA RSY ..

more

South

Karnataka Secretariat employees to boycott work on Friday, govt calls it 'illegal'

Bengaluru, May 26 (PTI) A section of the Karnataka Secretariat employees have decided to skip work on Friday, by calling for \"Secretariat Bandh\", to protest against the state government's move for \"rationalising the workforce\" by reducing staff, along with other demands. Terming the bandh call as \"illegal\", the government on Thursday said it has taken note of the move \"very seriously\". Asking all officials and employees of the Secretariat to compulsorily attend office, Chief Secretary P Ravi Kumar in a circular said, in case of absence without prior permission from superiors, it will be considered as \"dies-non\" (not qualifying for any remuneration). He also warned of disciplinary action and a criminal case against those causing obstruction to officials and staff, willing to attend work on Friday. About 5,000 employees working in the Secretariat and Legislature at Vidhana Soudha, Vikasa Soudha and M S Building, are expected to skip work on Friday, Karnataka Government Secretariat Employees Association President P Guruswamy claimed. They are against the government's plan to implement the recommendations of the Karnataka Administrative Reforms Commission-2, and have alleged that the state government has not reached out to them to address their concerns in this regard. The Commission has recommended \"rationalising the workforce\" at government offices by scrapping non-essential posts. PTI KSU KH HDA ..

more